31 days to burn 7 pounds of fat
By Julie Stewart
1. WEEKEND Eat eggs for breakfast. A study in Nutrition Research found that people who egg it up consume fewer total calories the rest of the day.
2. MONDAY Stand up whenever you read or take a phone call at work. (You can also use a stand-up desk.) Standing burns 1 1/2 times more calories than sitting does.
3. TUESDAY Grab a pen. People who kept a food log for at least 3 weeks lost 3 1/2 pounds more than those who didn’t, a University of Arkansas study found.
4. WEDNESDAY Chew food slowly and completely: You’ll take in nearly 12 percent fewer calories than if you scarf it, notes an American Journal of Clinical Nutrition study.
5. THURSDAY Don’t eat meals in front of the TV. In a University of Massachusetts study, people who did that took in nearly 300 more calories a day.
6. FRIDAY Weigh yourself each week. Three out of four successful dieters do this, the American College of Sports Medicine Health & Fitness Journal reports.
7/8. WEEKEND Dog-sit for a neighbor. But don’t just sitâ€”take Fido for a walk. You’ll burn 61 calories in 15 minutes. (Better yet, make it an hour.)
9. MONDAY Want to blow off today’s workout? Bad idea. Miss one now and you’re 61 percent more likely to skip one next week, says a study in Health Psychology.
10. TUESDAY At lunch, have an apple instead of apple juice. Chewing triggers satiety, so you’ll likely consume nearly 15 percent fewer calories, notes the journal Appetite.
11. WEDNESDAY Added sugars lead to added lard, so cut them out. This week, drop the sweetest offendersâ€”soda, baked goods, cereals, candy, fruit drinks, and ice cream.
12. THURSDAY Mix a shake: Consuming 55 grams of whey protein a day for 23 weeks can leave you 4 pounds lighter than if you’d eaten those calories in carbs, USDA scientists say.
13. FRIDAY Open the fridge and put produce at eye level. You’re 2.7 times more likely to eat healthy food if it’s in your line of sight, say scientists at Cornell University.
14/15. WEEKEND Reward yourself with a great Saturday night dinner, but don’t make it an all-weekend feed, or you may binge later, University of Texas researchers warn.
16. MONDAY Clean the house. People with the most spic-and-span abodes have the highest levels of physical activity, research from Indiana University reveals.
17. TUESDAY If you think you’re too busy to work out, think again: An 11-minute workout can help you burn more fat all day, a Southern Illinois University study found.
18. WEDNESDAY Make pushups work harder for you. Do an iso-explosive pushup: Hold your body in the down position for 3 seconds and then push up explosively.
19. THURSDAY Don’t let the bread basket hit the table. An Eastern Illinois University study found people ate 85 percent more bread when they were offered seconds.
20. FRIDAY Have some minty gum before your workout. The peppermint scent boosts sprinting speed and gym strength, says the Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology.
21/22. WEEKEND Eat beta-glucan for breakfast. This oat fiber can help regulate appetite for up to 4 hours, according to a study in the journal Nutrition Research.
23. MONDAY Pee often. A study in the journal Obesity found that people who drank two 8.5-ounce glasses of water before each meal lost an extra 4.5 pounds in 12 weeks.
24. TUESDAY During your workout, rest for no more than 60 seconds between exercises to keep your metabolism-boosting hormones high for the duration.
25. WEDNESDAY Fill your plate from the stovetop. You’ll likely eat up to 35 percent less than if you shovel it from a serving dish on the table, say Cornell University researchers.
26. THURSDAY Keep your treadmill set to a minimum incline of 2 percent to painlessly boost workout intensity. Increase the incline further to burn even more calories.
27. FRIDAY Toss a half cup of chickpeas into your next pot of winter soup. You’ll tack 6 more grams of flab-fighting fiber onto your bottom line.
28/29. WEEKEND Walk to talk. Turn up your cellphone ringer and leave the phone in a far-off corner of the house to force yourself to stand up and go to it when it rings.
30. MONDAY Got milk? Drinking 2 1/2 cups of skim milk in the a.m. instead of the calorie equivalent in juice can lower calorie consumption by 8.5 percent, says an Australian study.
31. TUESDAY Cheers! Drink a 12-ounce Guinness Draught instead of a Bud to save about 20 calories and gain the same antioxidants found in wine.